Noise Monitoring, Mapping, and Modelling Studies – A Review
More details
Hide details
Department of Civil Engineering, Jamia Millia Islamia, 110025, New Delhi, India
CSIR, CRRI, Mathura Road, New Delhi, India
Publication date: 2020-05-01
Corresponding author
Pervez Alam   

Jamia Millia Islamia, India
J. Ecol. Eng. 2020; 21(4):82-93
This paper reviews the literature on noise monitoring, noise mapping and noise modeling studies carried out in different countries by many researchers. The article reveals the current status of the noise-related studies and noise mapping studies. It was discovered that 90% of the noise monitoring studies were focused on the traffic noise, while the remaining 10 % focused on the residential, commercial and industrial areas. Sometimes, there may be a necessity to analyze the sound pressure levels all over the place, or around a particular piece of land and machinery of industry. Researchers have used the noise monitoring data for the development of 2D and 3D noise maps which gives a clear picture of the noise level around the source of noise in X, Y, and Z direction. For taking a decision regarding the noise level for any development project, predicting the noise level is always necessary. The traffic noise models are generally used for the purpose of prediction. Early models are based on constant vehicle speed, later some models predicted the noise level for interrupting the traffic flow. For instance, the Stop and Go model can be used for the prediction of the noise level in an interrupted flow. Four such models were reviewed and compared in this article.
Journals System - logo
Scroll to top